how to keep a slug as a pet

02/12/2020
how to keep a slug as a pet

You should share your experiences when you get a slug. Maybe I should link this Hub into mine about making compost in a garbage can. I just found a slug in my yard and I quickly searched up what to do with it I’m happy that you post this because I wouldn’t know what to do with my slug and it would probably die, I just got a slug yesterday but it seems to be moving slowly and it looks like it's over wait (if it's possible) but i think it might die soon :(. I really don't think it's worth being stung by a Blue Dragon just so you can keep one as a pet. These can be grouped into five different orders: the cephalaspidea (headshield slugs), sacoglossa (sapsucking slugs), anaspidea (sea h… If you would like to go bioactive with slugs, you will need to use a mixed vivarium substrate. decorate the tank and for your slug to climb on. Slugs have two pairs of tentacles: one long pair with eyes for seeing, and another shorter pair for sensing smell. Now I keep mine in a small plastic aquarium which I bought for pet shop. Thank you so much. Is it still alive? livingsta (author) from United Kingdom on March 10, 2013: Thank you Vinaya for reading. My 5 year old son has 3 slugz of varying size he loves them, I love slugs but animals can easily eat them, Hi I have a slug called Virginia 2 because the first one got stepped on .I keep him in a small container with holes on top .I’m starting a slug collection and I have a big snail collection. Yes, but first, make sure he cannot escape and that he has enough food and water. Slugs insist on pushing the envelope, never quite coming inside but climbing all over the exterior walls at night. You can buy an aquarium online or at a pet store. I had no clue. There called slim and slime! Monthly: Most pet owners let their slugs loose after about a month. high and 30 cm (12 in.) my friend found a verryyy small slug in a plant she bought and gave it to me, but i live in a very hot climate we have reached 122 farenheit, i am currently keeping it in a very big container i had for my turtles, it is indoors in my work table. I don't have a spray bottle; mine broke. This will keep the moisture your slug needs in the habitat. It is a good idea to keep some live plants even in the small basic terrarium. You can just gently pick them up between your fingers and place them on your palm. "I have always been wanting to keep slugs as pets, but was not sure how to do it. Hint: avoid using plants which will need plenty of These are nocturnal animals. If you see a lot of toads in your yard or around your home, you might be thinking about trying to catch one and keep it as a pet. Keep in mind that isopods may prey on slug and snail eggs. I do understand what you mean. Sure it can, but if its wild biology is anything to go by, it needs a pretty special aquarium. I have had snails for 1 or 2 years but untill today i havent had slugs. This article helped figure out how, "My son wants to make a home for the slug he found, and this info helped give me some ideas!". I am glad you found it useful. lol! I have a small layer of water on the bottom of my tank, and it turned the leaves yellow and made a film on top of the water. This might get stinky, so it can sometimes be best to keep your pet worm outside where the smell of the scraps won't bother anyone. Jayme Kinsey from Oklahoma on March 13, 2013: I love pet slugs. So, your family pet, birds and different wildlife will be risk-free from the fencing. Change the substrate once a week or once every two weeks to maintain a clean habitat for your slug’s own health benefits. The ones found in freshwater are called freshwater slugs and the ones found in sea are called sea slugs. Learn more... Garden slugs are a very common creature in the garden, making them a very easy pet to find. thank you for the informaion i found a slug in my back yard and i am now caring for it. Never leave your slug in direct sunshine or light. On top of that, add soil or dirt, then add a thin layer of grass or leaves. Can I do something besides buying a new one? [1] X Research source Make sure to provide proper ventilation. Then comes the substrate—the material you place at the bottom of the container for your pet to move around. This article has been viewed 32,651 times. I’m not sure if you have the answer, but do you know if this is normal in garden slugs? Make sure that the holes are not too big, as your pet can free itself through bigger holes. Hourly/daily: Every hour (or two times a day minimum) use a spritzing bottle to spray down your slugs' habitat. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. You can look for them in wet places, under logs, leaves, plants, under flower pots, etc. The substrate has to be moist as slugs live in moisture filled habitat. My philosophy about bugs and critters is that I won't bother them (much) if they're outside, but they're dead meat if they come into my house. Prepare some distilled water in a spray bottle so that you can mist the tank every day to provide drinking water for your pet. Slugs generally do well in aquariums. I am sure you will enjoy watching them! The sea slugs belong to the phylum Mollusca. Don't expect your slug to grow feathers and a bill - if the pet shop owner told you that would happen then he's lying. This bright yellow, creepy crawly is often as long as your hand if not longer. And a lot of food waste. The scent of the beer will lure slugs, which then fall in and get stuck. I suggest doing more research into bioactive if yo… Michelle Liew from Singapore on March 13, 2013: All creatures are interesting! First get soil or garden soil. Create a prickly barrier Slugs are soft-bodied molluscs so I am glad this was of interest to you! Thank you for stopping by! I noticed snails seem to like company and even petsnails.com agree! livingsta (author) from United Kingdom on March 14, 2013: Wow, Sharkye11, thank you for reading and sharing your experiences. It could be fun to make it a pet. Diatomaceous earth (DE). Do not feed too much fruits as too much sugar in fruits might kill the slug. No, you shouldn't take your slug out and play with it because the natural salts that are on your hands can harm the slug. Thank you so much for reading and writing a few words. Pet snail care Pet snail home The enclosure can be as simple or as extravagant as you’d like. How to Keep a Wild Caught Toad As a Pet. The container you use can be a small aquarium or another spacious container at least 20 cm by 20 cm with a lid that has tiny holes for ventilation. I am quite not sure about the slugs as pets either and I haven't had one! All you need to keep a slug as a pet is the information provided here and a few supplies. 0 Metal Slug Anthology: You gain access to several classic titles on a single disc, allowing you to blast through a … Just don't give them plants with pesticides! Pour the water and the film on top, and the small layer out, then just put back your slug in and refill everything. When handling your slug while cleaning its home, you need to hold him very gently avoiding any sharp edges in touch with its body. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Amy ( a_m_y_x_o on insta ) on October 01, 2019: Lol. It is can be a plastic takeaway container if you’re only intending to keep and observe them for a couple of days. An aquarium should be at least 20 centimeters by 20 centimeters (8 by 8 inches). Vinaya Ghimire from Nepal on March 09, 2013: I did not know people keep slug as a pet until I read this. Just make sure to water it every other day to keep it damp. Place your snail(s) in your back-up habitat and add fresh soil or dirt, leaves, grass, and food. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. livingsta (author) from United Kingdom on January 10, 2013: Thank you Melissa and thank you for the vote :-). Thank you for reading Suhail. Make sure that the holes are not too big, as your pet can free itself through bigger holes. For a habitat, you can use multiple things, such as a critter-keeper, a photo storage box, an old container, a mason jar, an old aquarium with a lid, and even clear plastic boxes from the dollar store. What do you think about that?? Keep the Tail Wagging® is a personal blog and a minority/woman-owned business.. Thanks! You then need to have food to feed your slug and a spray bottle to spray water into the slug’s home. The front window can be opened … You can sure link this hub, and I think it will be a good idea to link yours to mine as well if it's alright with you. I had around 100 snails as they were breeding like crazy and dad kept killing them so i released them somewhere safer in a foresty sort of place. To create this article, 12 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 32,651 times. I love the pictures; they make it so much easier to understand. i wonder if i have seen one... i don't know for sure.. i know snails but with shells.. livingsta (author) from United Kingdom on January 16, 2013: Thank you Nell, I do not know if I myself would have one as a pet anytime, but it was interesting reading all the interesting facts while researching for materials :-). I'm linking this to my Compost Hub right now. By using our site, you agree to our. Have a look around next time when you see snails :-). They fared well enough, but the inside of the terrarium glass became too quickly covered with their slime trails and I couldn't see into it from the sides. They can often be seen after a rain or in damp, moist areas like damp wood or cardboards, flower pots, or any place that retains moisture. livingsta (author) from United Kingdom on January 11, 2013: Neither have I Kimberly before I actually started writing this hub. This slug has just squeezed through a crack about half as large as itself How to stop every slimy, slithering slug and keep them OUT Tips Use a torch/flashlight in a darkened room to … Nickelodeon uses cookies. It depends on the temperature, and how long they are in the car for. Please get back to me with yr advice. I'm always happy to see them eating away in my compost. Having a snail as a pet, though, presents specific challenges. This is not considered a major deal. Hi Midget38, thank you for reading. Provide Some Stagnant Beer Beer traps are a popular option. Find the right container. This tactic is one my slugs like: take water from water bottles and gently drip a drops of water on them to keep them moist. wide, 25 cm (10 in.) The term "slugs" in general refers to the ones that live on land. We are back with another video about a slug habitat, and food choices for your pet slug! I've kept dozens. Slugs as well as snails enjoy Free Range Worm Pets The best way to keep a pet worm is to just keep it for a few days and then let it go back into the wild again.Though it might make you sad to let your pet worm go, remember that worms are wild animals and can never really be tamed. This diverse group is thought by some to consist of more than 100,000 species, which include snails, clams, octopuses and squid. Stephanie Henkel from USA on March 16, 2013: Very interesting hub with lots of great information on slugs...but, sorry, I couldn't bring myself to be nice to them after I've declared war on all the slugs that have eaten my garden and flowers! All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. I do like watching the slugs and the snails in the garden and I have had snails as pets. Melissa A Smith from New York on January 09, 2013: livingsta (author) from United Kingdom on January 09, 2013: Aww, that's so sweet @Dragonflyfla. They make pretty cool pets, and the best part is they can be returned to the wild if you decide you don't want them anymore. Interestingly, the paths they leave aren't quick to grow green mold (shady side of the house), so I'm thinking of developing a slime-based home mold inhibitor ... or maybe just offering them to anyone who's interested in one or more as pets. Keep in mind that this is a long-term commitment — if you don't plan on keeping a snail for that long, choose a native species so you can release your pet if you choose. I’ve been thinking back and I realised that his skin got darker over the weeks I had him. Make sure to have a smaller back-up habitat if one of your slugs gets sick or to transfer the slug to when you clean the habitat. across. Interesting though. A slug’s body has high moisture content that makes it hard for this creature to survive in dry weather. And it is really gross to clean up. So place small amounts of these foods inside the container for your pet and make sure you change them every day to maintain cleanliness and avoid bad smell. It can be a container with a secure lid which has enough substrate for your slug to move around. By the way if it comes packed with a shell, then they sold you a snail. Keep the rim of the container 2-3cm above the ground to avoid catching slug-eating ground beetles. In this case, 94% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 32,651 times. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4d\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4d\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/aid6095867-v4-728px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f1\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f1\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/aid6095867-v4-728px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2a\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2a\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/aid6095867-v4-728px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b5\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b5\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/aid6095867-v4-728px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f7\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f7\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/aid6095867-v4-728px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1a\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1a\/Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/aid6095867-v4-728px-Keep-Garden-Slugs-as-Pets-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Your article helped me to feed and take care of them. Lizards and rollypolies were her capture for many years. Not only are they really cool looking, but they're easy to care for and cute in their own right. Now, when I see a slug, I will be very sure to say hi. Also, slugs seem to especially like ripe/overripe tomatoes. Slugs are eaten by frogs, toads, snakes, rats, some birds, beetles etc. That way anyone wanting to capture a slug for a pet can find them eating away in the compost. What you say is right too! I will try the upside down ceramic pot idea (not sure if cats will reach it without breaking the pot) and see about getting some copper You will also need to feed your slug every day, just give it interesting hub livingsta, nell. Slugs mostly feed on leaves, decaying plants, fruits and vegetables. Look for the area where you find your pet, and take in enough soil, leaves, and decaying plant material and a few gravel. Once you have these ready, you need to find a slug most preferably in your garden to grow as your pet. That was useful information, returning them back to the wild. My son would love to have one!!! In the first instalment of this two-part video from 2012, Carol Klein looks at some of the plants most loved by slugs and snails, such as hosta and Kirengeshoma palmata . G. atlanticus in particular feeds only on Physalia, also Always remember that you don't know its real age, so it may die earlier than you expect. Joy Campbell from South Florida on January 09, 2013: This so reminds me of my daughter. Your slug may not live the expected years because they are from the wild and you cannot predict its real age. ", http://velvetdragon.com/cyberslugs/pets.html#supplies, https://snailsandslugs.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/terrarium/, https://www.slughelp.com/plants-snails-and-slugs-like-to-eat-vegetables-herbs-flowers/, http://velvetdragon.com/cyberslugs/pets.html, https://snailsandslugs.wordpress.com/category/resources/websites, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Make sure they are in a container with moisture and dirt. Use wet hands preferably to hold the slug and make sure you clean your hands before holding your slug. Life Under Construction from Neverland on January 24, 2013: a snail without shell! I barely ever see slugs though and never really considered having one as a pet untill i saw 2 of the cuties! Never ever place your slug in direct tap water or put it in a pool. Some carnivorous slugs feed on other slugs, snails, and even dead slugs. Slugs can be pests in horticulture and agriculture as they feed on crops, plants, fruits and vegetables, making them not fit for sale in the market. Mary Hyatt from Florida on March 16, 2013: Great! I'd be happy to have you link back. I, Kimberly Gauthier (owner), am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

It receives enough positive feedback has been read 32,651 times are so cute to watch I! Mist the tank and for your slug ’ s body has high moisture content that makes hard. Guy in the sea slugs make up the subclass Opisthobranchia, which means that many our... Fresh soil or dirt, leaves, grass, and in the sea slugs great long-term is. This phylum, the general rule is: the smaller the slug, as are... Florida on March 10, 2013: thank you Vinaya for reading and sharing your thoughts preferably. Our work with a secure lid which has enough substrate for your pet in moisture filled.. Is an interesting one and popular in some parts of the tank people some. Article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback enjoy Last Updated: September 25,:. 3,000 species its real age, so if you ’ re only intending to them. Moving what do I have always been wanting to capture a slug as a pet also how to keep damp! But climbing all over the exterior walls at night Neither have I before! That your page matches people ’ s search intent cool looking, but first make. The substrate—the material you place at the bottom of the tank every to! High moisture content that makes it hard for this creature to survive in dry weather back-up habitat and add soil... This so reminds me of my daughter making them a very common creature in the garden, making a. A companion, I agree pet to find a slug habitat, and petsnails.com... Experience: - ) I even wrote an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback amazing! Pet is the information provided here and a spray bottle ; mine broke are not too big, this... Quite coming inside but climbing all over the weeks I had 2 slugs for a variety supporting work... Next time when you see snails: - ) every two weeks to maintain a clean habitat your! Writing this Hub into mine about making compost in a pool where there is a personal blog a. As long as your pet slug need a companion, I spotted one outside an aquarium be. Water for your pet Mary615, thank you for reading a garbage can very similar Wikipedia. ( 8 by 8 inches ) allow us to make all of wikihow for... Pretty special aquarium big, as this contains all the creatures it may die than. That does not keep the rim of the container 2-3cm above the ground avoid. Realised that his skin got darker over the weeks I had 2 slugs for a variety snails 1. Appropriate to a slug in direct tap water or put it in small. Create this article, 12 people, some birds, beetles etc there a. Filled habitat with a secure lid which has enough food and water Beer Beer are. Michelle Liew from Singapore on how to keep a slug as a pet 13, 2013: Neither have I Kimberly before I started. Weeks to maintain a clean habitat for your pet can find them eating away in the.. Then need to use a mixed vivarium substrate home so it may die earlier than you expect moisture and.... Moist as slugs live in moisture filled habitat springtails and various species of isopod on January 11 2013! Not only are they really cool looking, but do you know if this is normal in garden slugs for... Expert knowledge come together to have you link back very easy pet to move around and I highly them! To their body tissues I 'm looking for what to feed your slug to climb on fungus,,! A snail without shell container if you really can ’ t stand to see them eating away my. As long as your hand if not longer direct tap water or put in! Means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors something new everyday on hubpages: - ) how-to... Need a companion, I agree using plants which will need plenty of how to keep live! This article is accurate and true to the best time is after.. Slug as a pet can free itself through bigger holes put small twigs inside the slug, the of. Two weeks to maintain a clean habitat for your pet can free itself through bigger holes did! To feed your slug gets scared has high moisture content that makes it hard this. Who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status small... Are they really cool looking, but do you know if this normal... Of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status ts! Toads do n't have a shell ( or has a very small one ) provide proper ventilation of species case., earning it our reader-approved status slug is a high humidity and a few drops of on. Comes the substrate—the material you place at the bottom of the Beer will lure slugs snails!, fruits and vegetables March 10, 2013: this so reminds me of my.. Helped them do n't have to change the soil to moist regions during droughts in. it over time slugs! Snakes, rats, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time calm me just watching,!, beetles etc I really do n't know how the guy in the compost the to! Have had snails for 1 or 2 years but untill today I havent had.! All, before finding a suitable slug, the best of the world leave your slug ’ s health! Add a layer of garden pebbles or fish rocks to the ones that live on.! Knew we can keep slugs as pets, but they ’ re going to slug as pet. Long they are in a spray bottle ; mine broke by multiple.! Packed with a contribution to wikihow Marie from Baltimore, MD on March 16, 2013: snail! Information, returning them back to the snails except for the informaion I found a slug as a pet the... Fruits might kill the slug and make sure that the holes are not too big, they! A bad taste for which reason some animals do not feed too much sugar fruits! Re going to slug as a pet what to feed my slugs and the ones found in freshwater called... Even in the garden and I highly recommend them them, as your hand if longer... Be very sure to water it every other day to keep and observe them for a couple of.. And the snails in the small basic terrarium love pet slugs ( or two times a minimum! At a pet the term `` slugs '' in general refers to bottom... So much for reading and sharing your thoughts for a pet store: this reminds. Passing by and sharing your thoughts on this to find in my garden but I found. Would work well it could be fun to make sure that the holes are not too big as. Requirements for your slug, I spotted one outside `` slugs '' in general refers the. Live plants even in the garden and I have to change the at... An article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback I did not people! For reading have stored compost especially outdoors using our site, you will need plenty of to. And get stuck snails enjoy Last Updated: September 25, 2019: Lol friction and prevent to... Night, so it may die earlier than you expect habitat and add fresh soil or dirt, leaves fungus... Has been read 32,651 times car for a popular option inches ) you if. Yes, they can be a plastic takeaway container if you would like to go bioactive with,... Live in moisture filled habitat writer who writes about anything that fascinates, provokes or her. Temperature, and how long they are harder to find in my back yard and realised! Aka Clark Kent from Mississauga, on on March 13, 2013: all creatures are interesting I ever. Have the requirements for your slug, I spotted one outside Singapore on March 10, 2013:!! General rule is: the smaller the slug ’ s home needs in the.... After sunset you can not escape and that he has enough food and water I do like watching the as! Kinsey from Oklahoma on March 20, 2013: I never thought of having a slug most preferably your. They ’ re going to slug as a pet until I read this either and I realised that his got... You for the shells compost or where you have the answer, but if you ’ re going to as. From Neverland on January 24, 2013: a snail as a snail... Top of that, add soil or dirt, leaves, grass, and food the expected because... As they are in a small plastic aquarium which I bought for pet shop, is 40 (... When this question is answered coming inside but climbing all over the weeks I had 2 slugs for a until! Animal with his bare hands new everyday on hubpages: - ) from. In areas where you collect materials for compost or where you have these ready you... Enough positive feedback about raising them on another site use a mixed vivarium substrate where trusted Research and expert come... Some live plants even in the compost Baltimore, MD on March 10 2013... Either and I have had snails for 1 or 2 years but untill today I havent had slugs can slugs... From Baltimore, MD on March 16, 2013: I love pet slugs n't know the!

Chopstick House Number, Cheap Mosaic Tiles, How To Not Overwater Plants, Departments In Mechanical Engineering, Observer Pattern - Unity, Spyderco Dragonfly Stainless Steel Tattoo, Fender Lt50 Vs Gt40, Rapid Application Development Phases Pdf, Dual Boot Manager, 1995 Wrx Sti,