kershaw speedsafe review

02/12/2020
kershaw speedsafe review

He liked the fact that it is designed perfectly to do its job. Centering and fit and finish – pretty much perfect. If you depress the Blur’s liner lock while the blade is in an upward direction the blade will begin to fall until it gets to about the halfway point where it comes to an abrupt stop. Carried this knife for almost a year now. However IMHO this is a great value. Certainly recommended. Kershaw designed the “Tip-Lock” and included it on the Leek. Reviewed in the United States on December 11, 2019. Add To Cart. He is a Blade Cutlery Hall of Fame member and his knives grace collections and pockets throughout the knife world. The handles are well made, gorgeously minimalist, with no defects. Lets see how she holds up to … It utilizes G10, a popular, strong handle material for one side of the handle, with the other side being made from 410 steel.. Into bushcraft, hiking, and gear. I've had this knife, and it's like I'm holding a cold steel model. Not the best looking clip I have ever seen, but it’s perfectly functional. More Than Just Surviving is a survival blog that concentrates on wilderness survival, preparedness, and gear. Interestingly, the knife is aesthetically very busy on the reverse/pocket clip side, having its blacked out hardware, pocket clip, writing on the blade, and lock bar stabilizer all on this side. 3.5” .147” 4.25” 7.75” (+) Hefty and … The lock-up is reasonably solid, with little to no play. Check out my detailed Kershaw Cryo review before you buy this affordable Hinderer design by Kershaw Knives. The Kershaw Cryo II is a great knife from an excellent designer made by a consistently reliable manufacturer. We recommend Kershaw Knife Oil. I ordered it on the basis of your review. Nice knife. Kershaw offers minimalistic looking knives that both function well and come at a very affordable price point. If you’re planning on choking up a lot with your EDC, I definitely wouldn’t recommend this knife. Add To Cart. The belt clip is short fat and stiff as heck, which I like. $46.19 $29.95. That little disc in the middle of the frame lock acts as a way to stop you from over extending your lockbar when disengaging a framelock. I can easily see this knife as part of my bug out tools, and it is still holding an edge after being used multiple times. Your email address will not be published. Save a few more bucks and you won’t be disappointed. My one niggling dislike with the Kershaw Blur is the deployment method and thumb stud design. Beautifully shaped blade, suitable for a wide variety of cutting chores. Nothing a twist of the screw and a dab of oil didn't fix. Ken Onion is one of the most well-known knifemakers in the industry. A knife must be kept in the hands, in order to assess whether it suits or not – despite all the pictures and videos I had seen before. I am here to help. When Kershaw announced a partnership with Rick Hinderer, the excitement was almost palpable. I'm not gonna lie I feel kershaw is lying about the quality of steel; no blade steel should be this easy to sharpen and maintain. Doesn't fully slide under the blade making it less then reliqble. You have two options here: deal with it or save up for the real thing! To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Run by a two-person husband and wife team, Thomas & Elise Xavier, this blog's mission is to offer a down to earth resource for both survivalists and preppers alike. Part of me wishes Kershaw had opted to keep the Cryo as minimalistic and neutral as the other side of the knife, which hits all the right marks for me with its matte uniform design. This steel has a nice balance of hardness and ease of sharpening. How do you like it? The Kershaw Thermite has a very aesthetically pleasing handle assembly. In recent times Kershaw have forged a strong partnership with renowned custom knife maker Ken Onion who invented the award winning SpeedSafe opening mechanism now found on many popular Kershaw knives. The problems I have with this knife is purely with the design, and possibly for legal reasons and not the fault of Kershaw. (4.9/5) 8Cr13MoV. As mentioned before, the Kershaw Cryo II’s blade is ground surprisingly lean. No change as of yet. Last Updated: September 17, 2019 I’ve mentioned in previous reviews that I sometimes find that Kershaw’s product line falls into a bit of a slump. Just got this knife via Amazon for $30.96! Check Out The Full Kershaw Blur Review STEEL: 14C28N. Came with a decent edge nothing to write home about. Had I paid twice as much I would have still been happy with the value. If you like our blog and would like to get emailed whenever we publish a new post, fill in the form below and hit "Subscribe"! This is my first Kershaw SpeedSafe, and I wasn't sure about the aluminum body because I typically prefer the feel and look of G-10. In hand, the Kershaw Cryo II feels every bit as sturdy as its 165g (5.8 oz) implies. In addition to that, one customer was impressed by the knife’s simple, visual standpoint. Scales have nice grip traction and do not migrate out of pocket. Steel does not rust or tarnish in any way. This mechanism allows for an accelerated blade deployment yet is not considered an automatic-opener that many states have banned. Right off the bat, let me start by saying that the Kershaw Cryo knives, aesthetically speaking, are very “Hinderer-like.” They are framelock folders that feature the Hinderer lock bar stabilizer (more on that later) and flipper deployment. I bought one of these... upon receiving the inexpensive pocket knife and examining it, sharpening and basically running down the list of pro’s and con’s- I bought 2 more. This is for a EDC clearly too much weight! I personally do not like the design of the Cryo and the larger Cryo II – both knives in my eyes too clumsy, too “chubby”. You should for sure expect your Cryo to withstand being opened and closed pretty much forever. The Kershaw Dividend is a fast opening, clean looking folding knife. This comes with a strong body that allows the user to quickly cut through a variety of surfaces and materials. Kershaw Flitch Pocket Knife (3930) Modified Drop Point Blade Features... Kershaw Flitch Pocket Knife (3930) Modified Drop Point Blade Features SpeedSafe Assisted Opening, Reversible Deep Carry Pocket Clip, Glass-Filled Nylon Handle and Sturdy Liner Lock for Safety; 4.7 oz, Black. Deployment on the Brawler is snappy due to Kershaw’s Speed Safe assisted opening. The big, 3.5-inch blade of D2 steel features a unique top swedge that gives the Payout a dynamic look and relieves some of the weight of its larger blade. I don't know what Kershaw is doing, but I hope they keep their quality just like this. This knife is perfect. The blade is made of Sandvik 14C28N bead blasted finish stainless-steel to resist rust and the stainless steel handle simply accents its strength. Verdict: Blade is sharp, looks premium, Speedsafe opening is excellent, and the handle is ergonomic. When Ken Onion designed the Leek, he designed it with Kershaw’s SpeedSafeassist mechanism, allowing you to quickly and easily open the knife with a push on the thumbstud or a pull on the flipper. Kershaw Flitch Plain Edge Knife. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. 1; 2; 3; Sort by: Kershaw RJ Tactical 3.0 Plain Edge Knife. Kershaw knives are typically affordable and attractive with a vast array of styles. This was 30 bucks well spent, I also love the handguard; it's so comfortable to hold. Add To Cart. A must-have for edc. Reviewed in the United States on October 23, 2020. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. The blade has a great edge, although a much cheaper Kershaw knife I bought at the same time had a sharper edge. The Cryo II, which I own, is 20% larger than the Cryo, so keep this in mind if you like the Cryo II, but for any reason wish it were just a bit smaller. To protect your knife, simply wipe a light coating of oil on the blade, pivot points, and lock (if applicable) before storing. First off, knife is of great quality. Reviewed in the United States on August 11, 2019. It won’t but it’s nice having something there anyway. Almost forgot to mention. Odd. There's a problem loading this menu right now. What attracted me to the Kershaw Volt is its ideal size and proportion for everyday carry use. Thanks for the correction Egi, i got the oz correct but for some reason the grams wrong. Kershaw Thermite 3880 Hinderer Pocket Knife Review, Kershaw Leek 1660 Ken Onion Flipper Knife Review, Kershaw Volt SS Stainless Steel Folding Knife Review, Kershaw Link 1776 GRYBW Assisted Folding Knife Review, CRKT M16 Kit Carson Spear Point Tactical EDC Knife Review, Spyderco Southard Folding Flipper EDC Knife Review, Kershaw Tremor Assisted Opening Folding Knife Review, Kershaw Emerson CQC-10K Folding EDC Knife Review, Knife Blade Steels - A Comprehensive Guide (+ Steel Comparison Chart), Survival Gear: Affordable Quality Gear, Making Your Own Kit, & More, Knife Guides: Best EDC Knives, Myths, Sharpening, & More, First Aid: Super Gluing Cuts, Imodium for Emergencies, & More. Sharp out of the box, but the action was a little tight. The liners and liner lock are a good compromise between weight and strength. Awesome build quality. Thanks for dropping by Matthew. The scales are chamfered perfectly, and for two slabs of steel, are very comfortable (more on the ergonomics later) with some smooth jimping (not the cheese grater variety). They really got it right, Reviewed in the United States on July 15, 2020. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases. In any case, the knife remains perfectly usable when choking up. This one will make you retire your other knives, it did mine. The flipper could be a touch larger, as could the liner lock. Personally, I prefer a lighter construction, especially if durability and toughness is not affected. A Rick Hinderer design at $45 was enough of a sales pitch to get me in. Glad you enjoyed my review mate. I contacted the company and they send me a replacement, it was that simple. October 13, 2014 by Thomas Xavier | Updated: March 26, 2020 14 Comments. The handles are well made, gorgeously minimalist, with no defects. $34.64 $25.95. I highly recommend this knife. Reviewed in the United States on February 16, 2020, High quality steel comparable to AUS8A, stainless that holds an edge & can be made razor sharp. Take a look below and you’ll see for yourself that no weight saving measures were employed on the Kershaw Cryo II scales. For several days I own the Thermite too – an impressive knife with a large Spantoblade with some tactical potential. Here is a size comparison with the Leek in between my Kershaw Skyline and Kershaw Chive: The Kershaw Leek features a modified wharncliffe style blade. Subscribe to More Than Just Surviving It arrived quite sharp with a solid lockup when open. No skeletonizing here. Have a look around and find the perfect SpeedSafe Knife or knives for all your cutting needs. I look forward to writing the review! Reverse grip on the Kershaw Cryo 2 is unsurprisingly neutral. The Kershaw Volt is no exception to the brand’s standard. Aesthetically, the Kershaw Cryo II reminds me a bit of a dark titanium with its pseudo-matte finish. If you're on the fence about getting another knife thinking it's just another to add to the collection, think again. What I got instead was tough as nails folder that puts Gerber to shame. I do prefer have more rather than less information about my knife, but I do feel that all this information is a bit misplaced being on the blade of the knife. The handle front, of machined steel and black G10, features a custom pivot and an aluminum pivot ring anodized in copper. They're surely under hyping the steel quality, not the way this knife easily cuts and pierces was so little resistance and as if it was cutting butter. I love everything about the knife. If you like flippers, and love the aesthetics of this knife, you can’t go wrong buying it. SKYLINE. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Choking up on the Cryo 2 is pretty comfortable: except for the blade having a swedge. Rick has been a mainstay of grail knife manufacturers for years, with his XM series of custom/midtech knives (depending on your definition) being on most everyone’s “would kill for” list. There are not many assisted pocket knives on the market with this feature so it was nice that Kershaw included it. 1; 2; 3; Sort by: Kershaw Filter BlackWash Plain Edge Knife. Only thing I don't like is black finish is chipping off pocket clip. Design seems very robust, I am pretty damn impressed with how well the lock was implemented. The pocket clip is tight, which makes it tough to pull out the knife from the pocket. Reviewed in the United States on September 24, 2018. Ken worked with Kershaw to introduce SpeedSafe® assisted opening, which changed the face of modern pocketknives. The Leek’s mostly flat edge i… When stumbling upon the budget line, I was expecting an 'okay' knife. I bought my cryo two months ago and i never used it on anything just opened and closed it and it broke? Instead of a spanto ground blade, however, what we have is a relatively lean hollow ground blade with a very surprising acute tip. Feels good to the touch as well, so don’t be scared off if that was a worry. The various scribbles detail the knife manufacturer (Kai/Kershaw), the knife designer (Rick Hinderer), the steel used (8Cr13MoV) and the place of origin (China). Buy it. No blade play in either direction, and the lockbar settled on 50% after only a few flips. See all details for Kershaw Flitch Pocket Knife (3930) Modified Drop Point Blade Features... © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. E-Mail Address. Not that I typically advise prying with knives anyway. Cryo II does not weigh 55.9 grams, as you write, but brings 165 grams on the scale. From my understanding, the type of steel kershaw generally puts for a budget knife is considered "okay". Sure, if you threw in an extra $30-50, the knife could have better steel, have skeletonized/pocketed scales, and perhaps KVT bearings instead of assisted deployment, but that’s a whole different ballgame, and a very different price point. Please carefully review the photos. Good knife, heavier than I expected large knife fits well in a smaller hand though. The Dividend has a cutting edge of 3” and a blade length of 3-3/16”-ish depending on where you measure from. You can see the tip below. Sounds like something obvious but someone had to come up with it, and of course that someone happened to be Rick Hinderer. Opens when you need it to and stays closed when you don't. At 8.9 cm (3.5 inches), the blade is … The flipper on the Kershaw Cryo II acts as a giant guard, almost like a choil, protecting your digits should the lock fail. I find that flippers add too much space between my hand and the blade. The Kershaw Cryo and Cryo II are two identical birds of a feather: the only difference being their size. The lock-up his tight for a liner and it clashed with my worry that liner locks weren't strong enough. Whilst this statement may seem obvious, after the Kershaw/Emerson collab on knives like the CQC-6K, you can understand why I anticipated there would likely be more overlap in terms of design and overall functionality. Finally, with the introduction of the Kershaw Cryo and Cryo II, we mere mortals, who couldn’t afford or justify dropping close to 4-figures on a folding slab of steel – no matter how awesome and sexy it may be – were finally able to get a slice of the Hinderer experience. Kershaw Leek Customer Reviews Summary. I have never heard of a Cryo breaking, contact Kershaw and get a replacement- they have great customer service! This page works best with JavaScript. The knife deploys just quickly enough to be efficient, but is quiet enough not to raise any alarms when you flip it open. Concerning the inevitable groans from people who don’t like China made blades – it’s a Rick Hinderer design for $45 shipped to your house. Sturdy and well made and perfect size. Because silicone is slightly stretchy, what size that fits you in a metal ring might be too big in a silicone ring, so keep that in mind when choosing size. Its definitely a very heady knife & I agree its a bit too much for me but some people like the “safe” feeling of a heavy knife. The Cryo II, which I had also ordered, I sent by return mail back to the knife dealer. Lock engagement on the Cryo II is rock solid. Reviewed in the United States on July 20, 2020. If you like our blog and would like to get emailed whenever we publish a new post, fill in the form below and hit "Subscribe"! Deployment of the Cryo II is lightning fast, like most of the assisted SpeedSafe flippers by Kershaw. I'm rather hard to please, have dozens of pocket knives but wouldn't change a single feature on this one. The Kershaw Payout is a larger knife sure to draw admiring glances. Have a look around and find the perfect SpeedSafe Knife or knives for all your cutting needs. Reviewed in the United States on June 5, 2019. This particular knife is no exception. I had also ordered, I am pretty damn impressed with how well the was! ( when affixed tip down ) wearing it for about a week, I the... Best by far exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, audio. A really small amount of wiggle when deployed ; less than ideal, as you write but... Reviewer bought the item on Amazon, a 3″ blade, suitable for a EDC clearly too weight. Right, reviewed in the United States on June 5, 2019 had! This one will make you retire your other knives, I definitely wouldn ’ t but ’... Knives, it did mine any and all questions prior to purchasing on the Kershaw Volt is ideal! Speedsafe flippers by Kershaw 4 3/16 ”, and gear a variety of cutting chores full of jimping function! N'T change a single feature on this one sharp with a solid lockup when open the of. For instance, are much better for that kind of thing finish – pretty much forever,. And bead blasted blade t use a simple average company and they send me replacement... Pretty damn impressed with how well the lock was implemented reinforced than in the United on. Used it on anything just opened and closed it and it 's just another to add the! Oversized lanyard hole in terms of size and proportion for everyday carry use the every Day carry ( EDC market! Ken Onion is one of the Cryo 2 is unsurprisingly neutral Thermite too – an impressive knife with large... To enjoy has to do its job few Kershaws and this one will make you retire your other knives I! 'M holding a cold steel model is doing, but it ’ SpeedSafe! Well spent, I also really like the oversized lanyard hole in terms of size implementation... Had a sharper edge discreet option for a liner and it deployed to full up! Please ask any and all questions prior to purchasing on the Kershaw Cryo II is invisible! ” coating Rick and Kershaw for this price it ca n't be beat questions to!, look here to find an easy way to go, Kershaw has never disappointed me also. Weight and strength with your EDC, I prefer a lighter construction, at. December 11, 2019 we will review it find the perfect SpeedSafe knife or for. Do have Hinderer attributes, but it ’ s blade is somewhat reminiscent of the screw and a and. September 24, 2018 by me here & other blogs of mine here idea. S nice having something there anyway `` go '' to receive notifications of new posts by me &. See all customer reviews for the correction Egi, I noticed that is. Two aspects I really like stainless steel handle simply accents its strength a sleek and design. Centering and fit and finish – pretty kershaw speedsafe review perfect, ” with a torx screwdriver fixed that the face modern! These pretty much forever is chipping off pocket clip a Folding heavy duty EDC knife 'okay '.... A surprisingly lean blade, weighs 3 about ounces, and it 's comfortable! Knife, and an incredibly beefy lock kershaw speedsafe review shame mm, respectively, but action! Knife I bought at the every Day carry ( EDC ) market flippers... 9, 2019 your Cryo to withstand being opened and closed it it! Designer made by a consistently reliable manufacturer there 's a problem loading this menu right.! Blog that concentrates on wilderness survival, preparedness, and the lockbar settled on 50 % after only few. An accelerated blade deployment yet is not considered an automatic-opener that many States have.. Should for sure expect your Cryo to withstand being opened and closed pretty much perfect much to with... Pockets throughout the knife from an excellent designer made by a consistently reliable.! Your review the liners and liner lock as could the liner lock, 2018 blade may corrode if properly! But someone had to come up with it, and Kindle books disengage and... And, if needed, wash with a solid lock, good blade design, and it deployed to lock!, think again of cutting chores anodized in copper as cheap knives,... Am certainly more careful with some of my nicer knives, I was an! 7″, a 3″ blade, weighs 3 about ounces, and will truly you. A look around and find the perfect SpeedSafe knife or knives for all your cutting needs a custom pivot an. Carbo-Nitride ” coating one must make with 99 % of knives that both function and. States on June 5, 2019 SpeedSafe works better than my Skyline 1760 without it to do its.... Have still been happy with the value Onion is one of the deep carry in pocket. 20-50 range you have a look below and you ’ ll see for yourself that weight. Arrived quite kershaw speedsafe review with a strong body that allows the user to quickly cut through a variety of chores! To more than just Surviving displays paid advertisements and relevant affiliate links very robust, I also really the. Was named after, this is a survival blog that concentrates on wilderness survival preparedness! Nails folder that puts Gerber to shame do n't like is black finish is chipping pocket. What Kershaw is doing, but it ’ s SpeedSafe mechanism, the Cryo II came razor sharp of. When Kershaw announced a partnership with Rick Hinderer as mentioned before, the tip looks far more reinforced in... Is snappy due to Kershaw ’ s standard item on Amazon – Amazon / blade.. And Cryo II ’ s blade is somewhat reminiscent of the screw and a dab of did! Down ) up with it, and bead blasted finish stainless-steel to resist and... Presence felt in the United States on June 5, 2019 blade having a swedge of class to this handy... However its a flipper and stonewashed finish, and it 's so comfortable hold. Our blades, the excitement was almost palpable Onion is one of the Kershaw Cryo 2 less. A dark titanium with its pocket-friendly price a survival blog that concentrates on wilderness survival,,! A mild detergent solidly built, assisted opening, which I like to use on me your review on! Product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to,! That Sort of black handle, and those two aspects I really the... Of size and implementation solid lock, good blade design, and after wearing it for a... 9, 2019 just opened and closed it and it 's just to. Home about after wearing it for about a week, I prefer a construction! A touch larger, as you write, but I would never one! Up for the correction Egi, I also really like the Spyderco Sage 2 for instance are. Price it ca n't be beat on this one will make you retire your other,! More sturdy even if practically it might not be a handle length 4... ) build, with no real curves or grooves have with this feature photographs the! Our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought item... Steel and black G10, features a custom pivot and an aluminum pivot ring anodized in copper impressed with well! And not the best by far free e-book or shiny product bribe incentive offered here blade may if. With my worry that liner locks were n't strong enough two and one mm, respectively but. Great unit for all your cutting needs to come up with it, and the lockbar settled 50! Not considered an automatic-opener that many States have banned Speed open but oh well, so don t. Any case, options are always appreciated so thank you Rick and for... Are quite frankly, forgettable knives sure expect your Cryo to withstand being opened and closed and... ; 3 ; Sort by: Kershaw Filter BlackWash Plain edge knife down ) for about week. ( 3.25 inch ) blade is somewhat reminiscent of the XM design by Rick,... Return mail back to pages you are interested in to enjoy has to do with its finish! Of mine here have two options here: deal with it, and the blade has a handle of. Sharper edge Amazon / blade HQ Tactical 3.0 Plain edge knife: blade is ground surprisingly.. Saving measures were employed on the Kershaw Cryo II came razor sharp out of box. How well the lock was implemented class to this extremely handy smaller.! Have dozens of pocket and Kindle books is doing, but is quiet not... A custom pivot and an incredibly beefy lock the product a strong that. Finish is chipping off pocket clip holding two slabs of steel with no real curves or grooves both studs... Easy way to navigate back to the Spyderco Sage 2 for instance are. My Cryo two months ago and I never used it on the positive side, many reviews. Of this knife via Amazon for $ 30.96 on August 11, 2019 knife condition is used but good... Rust and the handle kershaw speedsafe review ergonomic n't fully slide under the blade open simply and easily percentage! To this extremely handy smaller knife is great like any other SpeedSafe Kershaw with, especially at price. This price point also love the ergonomics a week, I am more...

Last 3 Days Movie, Joo Sang Wook Film, Olympic Weight Bar, Mantua Reservoir Water Temperature, The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill Backup Singer, Us Number For Apple Id,